In the recent years, America has become the leader in a number of areas. From technology to lifestyle, America is the global leader of the pack in most of the departments. However, not all these trends are positive. With most of the positives which are shown to us, here are eight areas which need addressing:
- Childbirth: In the US, childbirth is gonna make your wallet lighter by a lot of money. On an average, a hospital delivery can cost you up to $9000 for having a baby normally. If it is a caesarian, the costs may go even higher, to around $15000. Most insurance plans do not cover for the full costs of delivery. Even though the moms get the same amount of care like any other first world country, the money charged to them is significantly higher.
- Obesity: Although US is not the fattest country in the world, it has a significantly high number of people in this category. Although Mexico has taken the first spot for most overweight people in a developed country, US isn’t lagging behind. With more than two-third of the population considered overweight, it is up there with the other countries. Being the biggest country with such a huge number, this is definitely a cause for concern.
- Anxiety: America has a very high population of people suffering from anxiety. Depression and anxiety are common in countries, with anxiety common in the west and depression in the east. Although more than ten percent of the population suffers from anxiety in the west, the number is not as high as the US figure of 19 percent found by the survey of the WHO. More than 40 million people are suffering from anxiety but only a third are treated according to the survey.
- Ownership of Arms: The US is having the most guns per 100 residents, more than war zones like Iraq and Serbia. Studies have shown that Americans own more than 30 percent of the guns in this world. Having arms isn’t a bad thing, but related stats show that among developed countries, the murder rate is second highest.
- People in jails: Out of every 100,000 people, there are more than 700 people behind bars in the US making it the second highest per capita rate. The number of people behind these bar is the highest in the country, with the prison population exceeding 2,000,000. The high number of people is caused by a variety of reasons, which includes sentences for longer durations and the incarceration of nonviolent offenders. The main reason is believed to be privatization, where “growth models” are required for high profits.
- Energy Consumption: In terms of energy consumption, the US is the leader with highest per capita electricity and oil consumption. In terms of coal consumption, we are just second behind China. The total energy consumed by the US is about one fifth of that in the world. The high consumption is due to the cost of heating and cooling and the production of consumer goods.
- Health expenses: The US has the highest expenditure for health needs than any other country. The amount of money spent on this is increasing, with more than 17% of the GDP being utilized for this purpose. On an average, US spends more than $8000 per year per person on health. The next highest ones are significantly lower, around $3000 lesser.
- Cocaine: According to studies, US and Spain have the highest number of people (around 3 percent) who say that they have tried the use of Cocaine. Although it is reported that the demand is reduced, it has not disappeared completely. Cocaine ranks second in popularity of drugs behind marijuana, but is much more dangerous and may cause cardiac arrest.